Saturday, August 10, 2013

#EpicBeerWeekend on the #BrewRidgeTrail Review (Part 3)

Last time, in the mash tun…

I continued recounting the time I traipsed about in the majestic mountainous swath of Virginia countryside outside of Charlottesville and Shenandoah, looking for great beer. As you’ll recall, I didn't have to try too hard to find said beer. I referred to our first stop on this epic voyage at the South Street Brewery Brew Pub in downtown Charlottesville, and then went on in some detail about the second stop, which was the Devils Backbone Brew Pub in Roseland. I would be remiss if I didn't once again remind you all that in order to properly enjoy this blog post, you really should spend a few minutes to get caught up if you haven’t been following along. It’s a pretty easy process… I’ll even include links for you so you don’t have to worry about getting lost in the interwebs. Simply click here to read Part 1, and then click here to read Part 2. Now that that’s out of the way…

Not that far off.
As we were wrapping up our meal at the Devils Backbone Brew Pub, a dash of reality struck us. It was barely 1:30 in the afternoon, and our next destination was intended to be in the “dinner” time frame, at another brewpub that was literally a mile or so away from where we were. This meant that we needed to come up with something to keep ourselves entertained for four hours or so. A matter made more crisis-like by Devils Backbone’s “in the middle of nowhere” quality that I had been praising not 10 minutes prior.

Then it occurred to me – “Devils Backbone also has a production brewery in Lexington, Virginia, which if I remember correctly is on the other side of the Blue Ridge Mountains from where we currently were,” I said to myself. I enlisted the services of my smartie phone, and sure enough, a quick drive over the mountains would deposit us in Lexington. What better way to pass the time than at a brewery? We decided to call an audible.


A is the brewpub. B is the production brewery. The green part is gorgeous country.

So we made the 45 minute or so drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway to the other side of the mountains, and arrived at the Devils Backbone Brewery in Lexington, VA, affectionately known as the Outpost, which became the third stop on our epic quest for great beer in the brew ridge. The Outpost is located at 50 Northwind Lane in Lexington, and is easily accessible from I-81 and I-64.


The view from the street.

The Devils Backbone Outpost Brewery has a lot of the same ski-lodgy outdoorsy features as their Roseland brew pub, but is a lot more industrial looking too, which is to be expected as it is a factory. In case you haven’t put two and two together yet, the Outpost is where the majority of the Devils Backbone beer you find in stores is made. But in spite of the sizable commercial brewing operation that goes on there, like any proper production brewery, they have a very comfortable tap room where people can pop in, have some brews, buy some merch, and even take a tour if the timing is right. There is even an outdoor biergarten set up if the weather is cooperative.

Thirsty?
We arrived at the brewery and helped ourselves to a full flight of what was on tap – eight beers in all. The beers on the line were a wood-aged Kilt Flasher Wee Heavy, Eight Point IPA, Dark Abby Belgian Dubble, Striped Bass Pale Ale, Vienna Lager, Reilly’s Red Irish Red Ale, Ein Kolsch, and Coffee Schwartz Bier. All the beers were terrific, and there was no disappointment to be found.

For me, the highlight of the flight was the Coffee Schwartz Bier, which is there German-style black lager that has been brewed with coffee, which impart bold roasted coffee flavors to balance with the caramel notes from the malted barley. The beer is very dark, but surprisingly smooth and easily drank. It’s ABV is only 4.9%, making it a great session beer as well.

I also really enjoyed the wood-aged Kilt Flasher Wee Heavy, though it was probably too peaty for those who aren't fans of scotch ales. The oak barrel that the beer was aged in amplified the peat and made the beer quite aggressive, which forced my palate to react to it and not the other way around. Delicious, but definitely not a beginner beer.

Of course, being a hop head, I was very happy with the Eight Point IPA as well. I've had this beer countless times, but it’s always better on draught, and it’s always better fresh from the source.

View from the brew house.
In addition to drinking beer, I took the opportunity to buy some merch as well, adding to my glassware collection and even acquiring a bottle of Beggars and Thieves, the Craft Brewers Conference Symposium Beer that was brewed by Devils Backbone, DC Brau and The Brewer’s Art for the 2013 CBC. Beggars was a sessionable Rye Pilsner that was 5% ABV, making it easy to drink and pretty tasty. They didn't have any left on draught at the brewery, otherwise I would have had some, but I was fortunate to find a few bottles that could be taken home.

Also to my chagrin, we were unable to tour the facility during our visit as it was not a tour time, but hey… maybe next time.

All in all, this was a very enjoyable beer excursion, and I would definitely go back. Not bad for an unplanned audible call on our epic beer weekend. If you’re ever driving along I-81, and you’re in the Lexington area, I recommend you stop in for a pint… you won’t be sorry.

… to be continued…

Here’s to craft-brewed happiness (and the Brew Ridge)… Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment