Saturday, September 14, 2013

On Pumpkins

Jack-o-glasses

Okay. You twisted my arm. I’m finally going to start acknowledging the pumpkin ales for the 2013 harvest season. The truth of it is, in spite of my steadfast hard line anti-pumpkin ale stance, I actually love them. I love everything about pumpkin ales. The roasted barley balanced by sweet pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices… and yes, the names and labels too. I am sold. My problem isn't with the beer, but rather that they start selling it on August first when the weather outside clearly indicates that it is summer and not fall. But this morning, it is a crisp 60 degrees outside, the leaves are turning, and it’s mid-September, so clearly, the summer season is on the way out and the appropriate time to enjoy pumpkin ales has arrived. Not to mention, I caved weeks ago. Let’s hit it.

Really delicious stuff.
Last year, around this time, I went into a more historical dissection of pumpkin ales. I also dropped some science while identifying the distinguishing characteristics between different types of pumpkin ales. It’s a must read, so here is a link.

This year, I’m going to focus on my faves. I've already confessed to you that I am to a good pumpkin ale as Superman is to kryptonite. So what specific makes and models of kryptonite do it for me? I’m glad you asked. In no particular order, my favorite pumpkin ales are…

1) Southern Tier Brewing Company’s Pumking – The Pumking is one of the best pumpkin ales I've ever had. It is usually found in bomber form and has an ABV of 8.6%, though that alcohol is well hidden and not overwhelming. What makes Pumking so great is the vanilla and biscuit flavors and aromas that are present in addition to pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg, making the beer taste like liquid pumpkin pie. Delicious. Not to mention that the beer pours orange, which is an added bonus. Love this beer – highly recommend it.

2) Starr Hill Brewing Company’s Boxcarr Pumpkin Porter – Hopefully you live in an area of the country that Starr Hill distributes to, because this one is a treat. Dark, roasty porter ale and sweet, spicy pumpkin ale in the same glass. The beer pours a very dark brown, but is surprisingly sweet and spicy from the pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and ginger. There is also a hint of chocolate in it as well. The ABV is 5.2%, and the beer is quite enjoyable. You definitely want to go grab one of these.

The original.
3) Buffalo Bill’s Brewery’s Pumpkin Ale – Not only is this one as close to a perfect representation of the style, meaning you have to try it to truly appreciate pumpkin ales, but it is also the first one brewed during the modern era, so it’s historically and culturally significant as well. What sets it apart is, unlike most pumpkin ales that taste more like the spices that are added to augment the pumpkin, this one tastes more like a fresh pumpkin that just came out of the oven, and has subtle hints of nutmeg thrown in. Quite delicious!

4) Rogue Ales’ Rogue Farms Pumpkin Patch Ale – Another pumpkin ale that tastes more like a fresh pumpkin and less like the adjunct spices that were added to it, Rogue’s Pumpkin Patch is very refreshing and very enjoyable. They are most commonly found in bomber form, and may even be found in a bright orange colored bottle that is impossible to miss on the shelves. It also has a nice mix of cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and even some black pepper.

5) Dogfish Head Craft Brewery’s Punkin Ale – This pumpkin ale is also one of the OGs of pumpkin ales, and is a wonderful interpretation of the style. In fact, legend has it that this is the first beer that Sam Calgione brewed way back at Dogfish Head’s inception. It’s also come to be associated with an annual event in Delaware called Punkin Chunkin, where local combatants build medieval siege weapons like catapults and trebuchets, and then compete to launch a pumpkin the furthest distance. And then they drink DFH Punkin Ale. Good times. But beyond all that, the beer is really delicious, and tastes of pumpkins, cloves, allspice and brown sugar.

Big orange bottles.
6) New Holland Brewing Company’s Ichabod Ale – It’s hard to put my finger on why I like this one so much, but sufficed to say, I really like this one. The smell and taste are sweet, but not overly sweet, and the beer pours darker than usual. If you’re looking for a very consistent and delicious pumpkin ale, this is a good one to go with.

7) Weyerbacher Brewing Company’s Imperial Pumpkin Ale – The final recommendation today is actually the very first pumpkin ale that I ever had. Needless to say, I started out with a very high bar. Weyerbacher’s Imperial Pumpkin, like the name suggests, is a heavy hitter, coming in at 8.00% ABV and a very full body. It is sweeter than normal, but not in an overly pumpkin-spiced way, but rather from the amount of malt that was fermented to drive the ABV up. This beer is delicious, but should not be taken lightly.

The pumpkin season is upon us, and the shelves are littered with choices, so if you’re looking for pumpkin ales, you’ll have no trouble finding them. My recommendations only represent my own preferences, and while I stand behind all of these, I also recommend you try the others that are available at your local beer store. What I like to do, now that I am fully involved in the pumpkin season, is try to drink as many different pumpkins as I can until they disappear and are replaced by the Christmas ales and winter warmers. I've started out slow this year, but there’s still a month and some change left in this season to get my pumpkin on.

Here’s to craft-brewed happiness… Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment