Friday, January 20, 2012

The Brew Review: Sam Adams Alpine Spring

Alive with the
sound of music?
Today’s brew review is of the Boston Beer Company’s Sam Adams Alpine Spring Unfiltered Lager. I was excited about this because it is a new addition to the Sam Adams cavalcade of craft beers, and as I have a great deal of admiration and respect for Jim Koch and his team, new beer offerings are always a cause for excitement. It should be noted that Alpine Spring has replaced Noble Pils as Sam Adams’ spring seasonal release.

The first thing that I noticed with this beer is the strong lemon zest aroma which dominates the nose and overwhelms any other scents that would’ve otherwise been noticeable. The lemon notes continued on the front and back of my taste buds as I drank the beer, but were well-balanced by the noble Tettanang Hops and subtle malt flavors provided by the two-row barley. The mouth feel was light and crisp and color was hazy and golden, much like a Helles lager should be. My initial assessment was that it was easily drinkable and with a 5.5% ABV, it was a decent session beer.

The other thing to note on this beer is that it is unfiltered… which is becoming a major trend in the craft brewing industry. In spite of the buzz word, unfiltered beer actually is filtered, but by different processes than filtered beer. What makes it a “thing” is the enhanced flavors, aromas and appearance that not filtering everything out of beer gives the finished product. Not to mention the added nutritional benefits from leaving nutrient-rich yeast and malts in the brew.

My criticism has nothing to do with the beer, but rather with Sam Adams marketing and release schedule. Everything I thought about this beer was good until it occurred to me that it is January. This beer is well suited for spring and summer where citrus zest is a welcome aroma and flavor, but not as a winter beer. Winter beers should be heavy, malty, spicy, smoky, etc. Not light, crispy and zesty. What’s amazing to me is that they ARE marketing this beer as a spring seasonal release, but yet here I am able to purchase and drink it in January.

Aside from a confusing release party, Sam Adams Alpine Spring is good and I recommend it, though hopefully you’ll be more prepared than I was for a summer beer in winter.

Here's to craft-brewed happiness... Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment