Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Digital Mash Tun

What is a mash tun?
A mash tun of the converted water cooler variety
A mash tun is a vessel used during the brewing process in which milled grain and hot water are combined, resulting in the sugars and enzymes from the grain being separated from the grains themselves. After soaking for 1-2 hours, the water, sugars and enzymes (or wort) are drained from the mash tun and boiled into delicious beer. That is a very simplified and condensed account of the actual process, but for the purposes of this blog entry, it will suffice.

In a similar process to the one described above, "Inspirations from Inside a Mash Tun," will hopefully act as a digital "vessel" in which I can combine beer stories, recipes, reviews, recommendations and other sources of beer inspiration in order to create a depository of beer enlightenment for the wandering craft beer seeking soul.

I'm a home brewer and a self-diagnosed beer geek. I have expended a lot of time and effort immersing myself in my obsession, and now I'd like to share what I've experienced with anyone willing to listen (read). I hope you find inspiration in these posts the way I have.

Here's to craft-brewed happiness... Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Cool Blog Sous Brewer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you find that picture of the Mash Tun? That is what I want to do to Lunchbocks instead of the setup we have now...

    I'm glad you started a blog. I always thought you'd be an interesting blogger to read! :)

    ReplyDelete