Saturday, June 1, 2013

June 1st, 2013 - A Beer Odyssey

Great tune.
Or perhaps it’s an oddity – This is Major Tom to Ground Control… I’m stepping through the door…

June 1st is not particularly special in and of itself, unless your birthday is today, in which case, Happy Birthday!!! But other than birthdays, it’s just another summer day. Of course, it happens to fall on a Saturday this year, which qualifies it for…

RANDOM SUMMER BEER SATURDAY QUEST status. And, no, I didn't just make that up. Okay, maybe I did.

What am I blathering about? I’ll tell you what I’m blathering about. It’s summer, it’s nice outside, you don’t have to work today, so let’s go beer questing. Plain and simple. The quest can be as easy or elaborate as you wish to make it. It can take place at a single destination, multiple destinations, or maybe even from the comfort of your own home. It is quite literally whatever you want to do with this opportunity.

So as a way to inspire you, I’ll reveal what I've got up my sleeve for today’s beer odyssey. WARNING: The following descriptions and accounts contains SPOILERS, for those of you who are joining me on today’s adventure and want to remain surprised.

Be careful with this one.
A few days ago, I received a message from Brixx Woodfired Pizza in Woodbridge, VA, alerting me to the fact that they have acquired a cask of Lake Erie Monster Double IPA, courtesy of the Great Lakes Brewing Company out of Cleveland, OH. It would be tapped at 1:00pm sharp on Saturday, June 1st and be available until floated.

What’s the big deal? Well, as you all know by now, I am an admitted hop head. I would be willing (if it weren't for pressing obligations in my real life) to scour the earth looking for IPAs, Double IPAs, Imperial IPAs, etc, just to sit back and enjoy them. Not to mention that Lake Erie Monster is a seasonal rarity release and is not always available. Additionally, beers out of a cask are ALWAYS delicious and cause to literally drop everything you are doing and partake. This particular Double IPA is hopped with Simcoe and Willamette hops from the Pacific Northwest and weighs in at 9.1% ABV, 80 IBU, and has a final gravity of 22 degrees plato. Everything you want; nothing you don’t.

Clearly, this is a prime place to begin my sortie into deliciousness. Once I have had my share of the the Monster, it will be time for round two, which is…

…pre-gaming for round three. Okay, I know what you’re thinking. Why not just label this part a transition and make round three round two? Because it’s my beer odyssey… not yours. Besides, a pre-game should never be treated as an afterthought. It is just as important as the events that precede it and those that follow it. An entire evening can be made or broken with the pre-game.

Once the prescribed amount of time has elapsed, the pre-game will end and we’ll be on to round three. A few times a year, I contribute my time and effort to serving beer to the thirsty masses… in person. This is one of those times. I will be serving beer in a beer tent on a beach to those who crave malted-barley-based refreshment (and have enough tickets to trade me for the beer). I’m not going to sit here and tell you that I won’t be having a few myself while I hand them out, because that would be a lie.

$7.75 for horse urine in a bottle? That's highway robbery!
Once the beer serving is done, I will then fade into the throngs of thirsty beer patrons at the event and continue drinking until I determine that enough is enough. Should be a pretty nice little Saturday, maybe Home Depot or Bed, Bath, and Beyond… not sure if we’ll have enough time.

… for here am I sitting in my tin can…

Here’s to craft-brewed happiness… Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment