Saturday, December 14, 2013

The 12 Craft Beers of Christmas

It wouldn't be the Christmas season if I didn't take a moment to write the obligatory post about Christmas beer recommendations. It seems that I, and many bloggers like me, write this post every year. Last year, I went full-on grizzly bear and recommended 25 beers for the Christmas season. This year I will cop out and only do 12. Why 12? Because if I do 12, I can co-opt the “12 days of Christmas” song and make it into a gimmick for my beer recommendation blog. Too easy.

And to make this list extra awesome, all of these are brewed in the good-ole U. S. of A. ‘Murica!

On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…

One Winter Warmer, by Harpoon Brewery (Boston, MA) – Winter Warmer - Dark, copper colored, sweet and malty with notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla – Not overly hoppy – 5.5% ABV – Quite nice

On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…

Two Our Special Ales, by Anchor Brewing Company (San Francisco, CA) – Winter Warmer - Dark, deep brown colored, sweet spicy complex flavor and aroma, notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, berries, juniper, cloves, molasses, pine? – 5.5% ABV – Delicious

On the third day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…

Three Winter Ales, by Weyerbacher Brewing Company (Easton, PA) – Winter Warmer - Dark, rich brown color, almost amber in color, molasses and nut notes, easy to drink, 5.6% ABV – Very good

On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…

Four Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig Ales, by Boston Beer Company (Boston, MA) – Winter Warmer - Mahogany color – cinnamon, ginger and orange peel notes – one of my personal favorites – 5.9% ABV – Delicious

Blogger’s note: Sam Adams needs to sell this as a stand alone six pack, instead of just one of the six beers available in their winter seasonal variety pack.

On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…

Five Samuel Adams Holiday Porters, by Boston Beer Company (Boston, MA) – Porter - Dark brown – caramel and molasses notes – slightly bitter – also part of the Sam Adams winter seasonal variety pack – 5.9% ABV – Very satisfying

On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…

Six Santa’s Private Reserve Ales, by Rogue Ales (Ashland, OR) – Amber Ale - Amber color – hoppy with grapefruit notes – very well balanced – 6% ABV – Delicious

On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…

Seven Celebration Ales, by Sierra Nevada Brewing Company (Chico, CA) – American IPA - Dark amber color – robust hoppy and bitter flavor – pine and grapefruit in the nose – seasonal IPA? Yes, please. – 6.8% ABV – Wonderful

On the eighth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…

Eight Prelude Special Ales, by Shipyard Brewing Company (Portland, ME) – Winter Warmer - Maple syrup color – maple syrup flavor, along with nutmeg and caramel – bold and malty – 6.8% ABV – A treat

On the ninth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…

Nine Old Jubilation Ales, by Avery Brewing Company (Boulder, CO) – Winter Warmer - Deep mahogany color, boozy spiced brown ale with five different malts in the mash, hazelnut and butterscotch notes on the nose and taste – 8% ABV – Great brew

On the tenth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…

Ten Frosted Frog Christmas Ales, by Hoppin’ Frog Brewery (Akron, OH) – Winter Warmer - Dark color – very sweet and very aromatic – cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg notes like liquid ginger bread – full-bodied – more of a desert than a beer – 8.6% ABV – Fantastic

On the eleventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…

Eleven Santa’s Little Helpers, by Port Brewing Company (San Diego, CA) – Imperial Stout - Pitch black color – burnt coffee and black licorice in the nose – roasted barley and very bitter hop flavor – 10% ABV – Seriously Intense

On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…

Twelve The Mad Elfs, by Tröegs Brewing Company (Hershey, PA) – Belgian strong dark ale - Red-brown color – Belgian yeast and cherries in the nose – complex, sweet, boozy, Belgian taste – 11% ABV – Sublime

… and then I passed out for the rest of the holiday season.

Here’s to craft-brewed happiness… Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Great list!! Gonna have to go search for a couple of these! Surprised that Great Lakes Christmas Ale wasn't mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only listed 12, certainly not an exhaustive list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only listed 12, certainly not an exhaustive list.

    ReplyDelete