Saturday, May 5, 2012

Mud Running Made Easy

Crazy? You bet your @$$ they are!
Good beer comes in all shapes and sizes. And sometimes, it is found in the most bizarre places. Take, for example, the Rugged Maniac Mud Run in Petersburg, Virginia. That is where I found myself today, cheering on my better half as she ran the 5k mud run. Fortunately, I was not alone.... I had the power of craftiness to get me through.

Pride of Bean Town
You see, the fine folks at the Harpoon Brewing Company in Boston, Massachusetts had the good sense to sponsor the event, and as such, they had plenty of IPAs and UFO Wheat Ales on hand to quench the thirst and placate the palate of the runners and on-lookers alike. Thanks to Harpoon, I was able to enjoy myself just a little bit more than I otherwise would have, and thus, I can report that it's all smiles from Petersburg this cloudy and humid Saturday afternoon.

This episode serves to prove as evidence that crafty beer is invading any and all venues that will have them, and the list of those that will have them is growing by the day. Athletic events like mud runs, hash runs and bicycle races are acquiring craft beer sponsors like hotcakes. And the reviews are wonderful. It turns out that healthy, outdoorsy, athletic people like to drink beer, and they prefer good beer (who knew?) (I knew).

If this aint fun, I don't know what is
I can see the future here folks. Craft beer is invading major sports venues like Major League Baseball stadiums, and they are invading smaller atheltic venues like mud runs. I foresee that in time (not much time), you'll be able to get good beer at ALL public events - air shows, art exhibits, political conventions, what have you.

So get excited... the light at the end of the tunnel is almost here!

Here's to craft-brewed happiness... Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Rule #47 Drink Tripels, don’t ride triples.

    Cycling, mud running and beer are so intertwined we may never understand the full relationship. Beer is a recovery drink, an elixir for post-ride trash talking and a just plain excellent thing to pour down the neck. We train to drink so don’t fool around. Drink quality beer from real breweries. If it is brewed with rice instead of malted barley or requires a lime, you are off the path. Know your bittering units like you know your gear length. Life is short, don’t waste it on piss beer.

    ReplyDelete